Monday, January 17, 2011

White Privilege

Had a bit of a rant today with one of my cohort-ee's. In one of our classes we were assigned to read an article. First let's just appreciate that I even read the article (ha!).

I was hardly able to finish the article because of the gross taste I got in my mouth (speaking figuratively). It was about White Privilege, but obviously contrary to the intentions of the author, I was not disgusted by the fact that I've been so oblivious to my own "undeserved privilege" . Nay, I was disgusted by the author's rhetoric - even racist - and overtly vicim-mindedness.

UGH. Being a victim - eg: self-identifying as a victim - is the worst thing anyone can do for themselves. It gets even more staunch when a group does it to themselves (see: feminism). It's the worst set of goggles to put on - and, even worse, with these goggles on, they start to resent any argument, even objective ones, that contradict their own belief that they are a victim. If you're ever studying the Ego, this is a great example.

It's gotten to the point that many of these groups (again, see: feminism), latch onto other groups that they can also identify as victims, to further strengthen their own feelings of victimization. Again, ego ego ego. The most frustrating part of it all, for me, is that, to the benefit of these groups, it's become politically incorrect to challenge these groups' assertion of victimization, even objectively, even in a place that supposedly facilitates higher learning. Welcome to UVic.

Class discussion tomorrow should be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment