Sunday, January 30, 2011

Slack

It was just a few years ago, the year after the year I'd spent taking full-time (5-class) semesters for three years straight, that I'd downgraded to a part-time course-load. There was a four-class and two-class semester, plus a part-time job.. and it was during that time that I wondered how I'd ever done it - a full, 5-class-full-time school schedule.

Last year it was worse again - I have this nasty habit of trying to put too much on my schedule/plate. I decided, "Hey! I only have a full and demanding course load, I know what I'll do - get a part-time job!" .. and so I did, and while I met some great people, and made a little side-cash, I pushed myself too hard, and too far, and ended up giving seemingly everyone not as much as they deserved - myself included. I ended up burning out, and getting a string of the lowest grades I've ever gotten.

Fast forward to this school year. A new program - but each class was generally a lighter load - but I had 6 classes in the fall, and no job, and for some reason everything just seemed to culminate - assignment-wise - in the last month of classes. The result was a month or so of zero social activity - and two real all-nighters to finish papers.

So this brings me to the present. Over the Holidays I had 19 consecutive days off in a row. Unheard of. Then, as if in full-circle, I was left with just 5 classes - less than the Fall Semester. At one time I had shuddered at the thought of a full 5-class course load, but now it just seems easy. Sure, they're -Ed- classes, but I'm finding myself with enough time to put my feet up on a fairly regular basis, carry a very-part-time-job, and even socialize, and I'm quite appreciating it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment