Thursday, January 20, 2011

Whistling While You Work

Recently gotten a few words of praise for keeping this daily blog up. Thanks! But really not doing as well as it might appear. As you can see by the time of this post, I'd say the majority of the days I'm barely scraping by to make a post happen - or, started - by midnight. Though, I really didn't intend this blog to be a guaranteed daily thing, on the day - rather, a post for every day, regardless of the day it was posted on - meaning I'm allowed late and pre-written posts.

On another note, tonight I had the opportunity to observe, and take part in, a lively and helped-along-by-alcohol conversation with a few of my education cohorts about some of the reservations (pun intended) I/we've had in the last weeks about our classes - particularly, the tenor of a course we're all taking on Aboriginal education issues.

This relates back to the title of this post, "whistle while you work", meaning to make the best of a less than enjoyable, mandatory experience. Whistling is the front the worker puts on, which gives to others the impression that he feels amiably about the task he is doing, despite how he actually feels. Similar to my aboriginal class, many people are only saying what they think is appropriate in this very politically-correct-discussion-only-please environment. Turns out, many of us are holding back our true opinions about the subject matter and course readings.

No comments:

Post a Comment