Friday, January 21, 2011

Job.

Whew - just under the wire again. 11:57PM post start-time.

Today I resumed my job: running after school camps. It was my first chance to apply some of the teaching strategies I'd learned in my Ed program. Though I've had 5 months in the program, and in that time I've been able to reflect upon how I'd apply the dozens of teaching strategies I've learned and practiced, I found today, that when the rubber hit the road, none of it mattered.

Kids are good - but today was probably the hardest group to control I've ever had for an hour. It was a private school, uniforms and all, and I was told by a staff member that the kids at the school were all well behaved, "except for a few turkeys", but what I found was quite the opposite. Kids were bouncing off the walls, rolling around on the floor and table tops, and I had to break up a few boy wrestling matches at the beginning of class. It was like they had all been fed candy and Redbulls for the hour prior to camp's start. I probably spent at least a good 1/4 of my time waiting for them to quiet down - not all at once - but as a total throughout the class, and as a result I didn't get through my entire lesson plan. To be fair, our camps are normally between 12 and 18 eight-to-ten-year-olds in size, which is a manageable number for an after-school camp, but today it was 26. eesh.

I don't mean to complain - I love my job - but I wonder, or at least hope, that kids don't behave like this all day long. The stuff I teach them is FUN - I can only imagine if what I had to teach them was math! .. I'd like to think that being an actual teacher comes with some inherent sense of authority which makes kids behave better - and I'm sure there is, but there's always that sliver of doubt that makes me dread having to face a group like this when I'm teaching as a profession, and am actually required to get the curriculum through to them. ...and this is why I'm teaching highschool. HA!

The is a gleam of sunshine, however. The job, which is going to be 2 or 3 times a week at different schools, both requires and allows (and me to afford) me to put my car back on the road, which is worth celebration. But more on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment