Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Be Hatin'

So there's a person in my cohort, and people are more than beginning to hate on this person.

It's not me- that's not the problem. The problem is that this person talks a lot in class, often interrupting other people, and what this person is saying is ruffling a lot of feathers. I can't help but think that this person might have aspergers - meaning they have a brain.... unbalance - meaning they can't read other peoples' emotional reactions - they can't perceive that what they say might have an emotional, or perhaps insulting, affect on other people - nevermind the fact they he or she is speaking out of place in class, unable to see that the timing of their -frequent- comments are unnecessary and unwelcome.

I learned today that, compared to many other people, I take life, or what other people say and do, rather lightly. In some respects. If it's not directly aimed at me, I'm fairly good at looking at peoples' actions objectively, but recently I've found some other people in my cohort don't see the world, and the actions of fellow cohort-ees, in the same way as me, and they're hatin' on this one particular individual.

I kind of feel sorry for this individual, but partially not. Isn't it up to all people to find their own way in life - through all the fucked up social mazes, so that other people will like them, and they'll be 'socially normal' - and that their peers will see them as someone of value - someone they'll want to hang out with? The particular person I'm thinking of in my cohort was given ample chance to have such acceptance, but is dropping the ball royally, as it were, and with great finesse.

Sometimes we all feel like this person: the outcast. I'm not sure, in this case, if I should step in or not.

-Colin

No comments:

Post a Comment