Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Evenings & Weekends

Today marked the first time I've changed my cell plan in years. Yesterday I got a call out of the blue from my cell phone provider, and of course they were trying to sell me something, but what they were trying to sell me, a new plan based on how much I was already spending, actually made sense.

It's very rare that that happens - that some customer service representative pushes some product or service plan on me that's actually of real benefit to me (although, statistically not for most, apparently, otherwise they wouldn't offer it.), and not just a cash-grab that most of these things are. The other deal I stumbled upon: The Source's warranty on ear buds. Ear buds always break. It didn't help either that the salesgirl was really cute, but she sold me- strictly logically (I swear), on the ~$4 warranty on the ear buds I was buying, based on the fact that I knew my luck with earbuds - and her insistence that it was really a great warranty. With my previous pair, which I had come in to the store that day to replace, one ear had become finicky and was more of a problem than it was worth. Sure enough, that's exactly what happened to this new pair a year later, so I took them back to the store (without any packaging), and they (unfortunately not said cute salesgirl) replaced them with a new pair- zero questions asked. Took five minutes, and I have another one or two more replacements covered if needed in the next year and a half.

So my new phone plan, which isn't prepaid, gets unlimited evenings and weekends, unlimited texting, voicemail and call display, plus 100 anytime minutes, for $25 flat. No other bullshit fees, which is why I'm with the provider I'm with. My only concern: the 100 'anytime' minutes, which are really 'weekday-daytime' minutes, don't seem like enough. Basically everyone I know who's on or been on a phone contract has been screwed on at least one of their phone bills - something I generally avoided with prepaid. ...We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment