Saturday, January 1, 2011

Hello, 2011.

2011 started off with less than a bang.

Waking up on the spare bed in Lisa's house, it was 4:30am. DRINKING CRAMPS. Had the smarts to guzzle a couple glasses of water from the fridge, tried to fall back asleep, but couldn't: pain in my neck and shoulders was too bad, plus it was freezing. Stumbled around the sleepers in the living room to find my coat, walked home, more water, four ibuprofen, warm shower, bed. Wake up at 2:30pm.

Feeling surprisingly good, despite last night's copious consumption. The day is new, and I'm full of optimism for the year to come. 2011 is here.

I've somewhat recently become anti-mysticist [it's my blog, I'm allowed to make up words]. Being the expert pattern-finders we are, humans have a habit of finding mystical properties and elements in day-to-day life. People have a model of the world that includes some level of mysticism: from the romantic idea often spouted by love-smacked teenage guys in movies that they've just met 'the one' (their one and only true love, out of 3.5 billion people of the opposite sex on this planet), luck, fate, shapes in poofy clouds, and special properties of objects, places, and dates. I really don't buy any of it, but can't help but feeling a sense of new-found opportunity on the first day of the year. It's a day to start resolutions, reflect upon the year-past, and set one's self towards a better path in life.

Welcome, 2011. I look forward to blogging with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment