Sunday, January 16, 2011

When Bad Things Happen

Looking back, it's hard to think of any of those tragic, temporarily life-altering incidents in my life as bad. I could name them off - incidents with friends, and more-than-friends - but, ultimately, if you're reading this blog and you know me, you could probably name one if not many of the things that have stopped me in my tracks in life. But you know what, I don't regret any of the "bad" things that happened to me in the past.

I think, although usually deep in hindsight, that I'm always able to gain from my 'negative' experiences, and ultimately, though I'd refuse to believe it or see them in this light in-the-moment, I'm actually glad they've happened. There have been incidents in life that have made me lose sleep, lose friends, get kicked out of nightclubs, and been told to fuck off by the group of people I was with on a night out, but ultimately it's not hard just to look back and laugh at it all, and be glad for the experience life has given me. I'd even argue so far as to say that it's the collection of negative events in our lives that are the ones that do us the best - and that can be looked back upon as the most positive and rewarding experiences we have.

A humorous thought: why not cause ourselves to go through negative experiences on-purpose? Not saying I'm going to go out and do something life-altering, but I'm reminded of a movie Sarah told me about right after I got in my car accident last summer: a movie about car-crash survivors who find sexual stimulation from the release of adrenaline after being in life-threatening car crashes, thus the main characters of the movie steal cars to repeat this process. Carpe Diem.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! Live, learn, and hopefully laugh about it a few days or years later.

    "Why not cause ourselves to go through negative experiences on-purpose?"

    I swear that some people do in fact adopt this approach with their lives. The jury's out on weather that makes one a wiser person or not though.

    P.S. Good job keeping up your new years resolution!

    ReplyDelete