Friday, April 22, 2011

TV: The Fat Box

So busy in the last couple of weeks that I completely missed some of my regular shows. I admit it, I like some of the 'higher end' reality TV shows: Survivor, and The Biggest Loser, and missed both this week. Didn't even realize it either (what, with 2.5 - 6 hours of sleep per night), until I checked the PVR. God bless you, PVR.

Last summer I didn't have cable, nor any antenna signal, for the 3 months I lived out of the parents' house. Didn't miss TV all all - not one bit. Granted, having a limited amount of diversion-time in front of the old fat-box is a good thing - but only if it's a show you really like and follow. It's funny how new technology - digital cable, which allows you to quickly see what's on in text-menu form - has completely eliminated channel-flipping, and I would wager has actually cut time out of the average person's daily TV-watching-hours. Good thing. Also a good thing: PVR's, which allow us to no longer be a slave to TV's scheduling, and commercials. Then again, BitTorrent has those benefits too. =)

Now, if only more people would turn off Dr.Oz and go for a daily 1-hour walk instead (which would almost certainly result in more long and short-term health benefits).

No comments:

Post a Comment