Friday, April 8, 2011

Spring: Off the Deep End.

Spring unofficially began today, with the fornication of bunnies and deer (not together, hopefully), and our first beach fire of the year. Driving around today, I must have seen over 10 deer, and about 3 or 4 white-tailed bunnies - one of which jumped out in front of me, then jumped out of the way just barely missing my car.

Other than the campfire and the resulting awesome smokey smell, today was my first (early) day of teaching highschool. Two Information Technology 9/10 classes in the afternoon; one of the two will be mine come Monday. I'll also be teaching a grade 11 class XHTML and CSS. For the last couple of days I'd been observing, I'd been a bit overwhelmed and shy in the class. Funny how jumping right into the deep end - eg: getting up in front of the class with no choice but to do my job - can immediately fix all that.

Of the two blocks she has of the 9/10 course, she gave me the least well behaved one. Joy. But it actually went well. My mentor teacher seemed to think my 9/10 class, the one I'll be adopting, would eat me alive. She even told me about one student who would probably need to be sent out to the hall to 'do the stairs' - but he never did. The 'kids' were fine - though not all exactly on-task. Can't really blame them: who wants to be inside programming C++ on the first sunny Friday afternoon of the semester? I sure didn't.. but it's my job, temporarily and unpaid (dammit), but still my job. Hell, I can't count the number of times I've spent an entire class this school year surfing the web or working on 3D instead of listening to the prof.

Luckily, as a highschool teacher, I can say "Monitors OFF!" :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment