Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lesson Planning

One thing that's transparent about teaching, until you're faced with it, is that fact that teachers do a lot of work behind the scenes planning their classes- more time than you might think: Thursday night I was up making my lesson plan and accompanying C++ mini-program until 2am. And that was only for one 65 minute lesson.

My goal for tomorrow is to get 3 days of lesson plans done for both of my classes. That's the goal: but there's more: I need to start thinking about assessment too - how I'm going to work things into my classes that are actually worth marks, and let me know, really, how well students are learning and keeping on top of what I'm teaching. The latter is called 'formative assessment' - which means, simply: assessment for the purpose of gauging student learning, to aid in future or continued teaching. I don't have any of that planned yet. GULP.

I also realized today that I forgot to talk to my mentor teacher what she expects me to teach in one of my two classes, the C++ one, starting Monday. I could make a pretty educated guess, but then again, my mentor teacher is pretty specific.

No comments:

Post a Comment