Thursday, April 28, 2011

The State of the Union (Jack)

So not too long ago our lovely Canadian federal government (you know, the one that supposedly runs the country), was found in contempt of parliament, and the government was broken up - time for yet another election. Yay. Said election is in four days: Monday

There are 5 Parties, and 5 leaders, in the national spotlight. I thought, here, I'd give my two cents on each. Let it be known that I'm still quite an undecided, and uneducated (about party politics) voter.

#1) Bloc Quebecois - Gilles Duceppe. I'm all for diversity - but this party, which the national TV/radio networks (generously) grant participation in national leader debates, doesn't even have a proper English version of their website. Even the conservative party does; so, apparently if you speak English, or any language other than Francais, the Bloc doesn't want your vote. ... ... Gilles started off his portion in the national party leaders debate by stating that Quebec shouldn't be a part of Canada. You know, maybe it's time that the National leaders debate only agree to include National Party Leaders. Be damned with invitation by representation in the House of Commons - this guy, and his party, isn't interested in the country - the Bloc is a separatist party. Someone should politely inform them that it's not 1994.

#2) Stephen Harper - Conservative Party. Let it be known that his party's website is the ugliest of all the parties. With that out of the way, I can't possibly vote for this party this election. Too many things have come out of the woodwork in the last 6 years about what the party has done, in terms of policy, funding, and inter-party politics that make me shake my head. I honestly try to take everything I hear with a grain of salt (whether the sources are far-right or far-left, or anywhere in between), but some of the things on the anti-Harper/anti-Conservative websites are really quite damming. Stephen Harper murdered a kitten with his bare hands? - Not quite, but he did fill his party's private room in the House of Commons entirely of large framed photographs of himself. Egomaniac?

#3) Michael Ignatieff ("Iggy") - Liberal Party. I honestly don't know a lot abut this guy - but what I've seen I've been pretty impressed with. Without a doubt the most qualified and educated candidate for Prime Minister (or, party leader with a hope of becoming Prime Minister) in this election. He seems honest, and a common theme in his speeches and answers during town hall meetings is his belief in democracy. That being said, he supposedly has the worst attendance record of any MP in the House - and that's a pretty damming statistic - one that I'd like to hear him justify. A lot of people also think he comes off "smug". That being said, his party has a good chance of getting my vote on Monday.

#4) Jack Layton - New Democratic Party. I have to say, this guy fills the role of angry/useless/self-serving oppositional party leader well. That being said, he's very, very dedicated to the country and working for the people. His party has the most diverse candidates, and he's rising every day in popularity. My God, recent polls even have him and the most favoured potential Prime Minister in this election. Never thought I'd see the day! .. That being said, I have a fairly legitimate concern that Jack's spending might get out of control. the NDP (both federally and provincially) knows how to spend money on Government programs - and that means either a larger national debt, or higher taxes. I have zero problem with higher taxes for corporations or the rich, but keep your hands off my 5% GST and my rebate cheques, Jack, and you might get my vote. Also of note: From what I've heard he's a pretty nice and approachable guy. A rather grungy-looking local amateur comedian I saw recently said that Jack happily shook his hand and took a photo with him at a local Starbucks. (whether he was telling the truth or not is undetermined).

#5) Elizabeth May - Green Party. This party really, really wants you to finally, finally elect them to a seat. With all due honesty, the green party has been given the shitty end of the stick over the past several elections - they've grown their brand (and funding) a lot - and their percentage of the popular vote has increasingly climbed - just, not enough in any one riding to actually have any of their MP Candidates elected. This time around they're really pushing for Elizabeth May herself to win her own riding. Money is no object for the first time in the party's history - and it seems like, at least within my social circle, May has a pretty darn good chance of winning her seat. My concern: She'll be a completely useless MP. As likely the only Green MP, what can she hope to accomplish? I see a lot of complaining and and angry arm-waving in her future as an MP- mostly surrounding how whoever's-government at the moment is completely ignoring the far-left/environmentalist demands surrounding the environment, which, quite honestly, would put a lot of government funding for human-related services in jeopardy. That being said, if she has the best chance of beating out the incumbent Conservative MP in her riding, she'll get my vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment