Saturday, April 30, 2011

Orgy of Green & "Post"

This post isn't about the political party. 'Orgy' and 'Elizabeth May' shouldn't ever been in the same thought... eesh ... but there, I think I just though it.

I Slept in today - beyond the likes of 11am. Nice. Went for a little drive just to get out of the house, and because I'm a habitual consumer, and because it was a gorgeous day. I got only to the end of my street before I realized it:The orgy of green that is late-April in my hometown is here: dandelions, plush vegetation, the whole bit - it's one of my favourite times of year, mostly because I used to come back here after a long winter at University in the far-far away. There was nothing better, then, than coming from a land of snow and brown grass to this 'orgy' of green.

A few blocks later, I contemplated another thought: When I write a blog entry, I "post" it. But - doesn't "post" mean 'AFTER'? This is where my lack of any real linguistic knowledge fails me. Calling the mail 'post' (eg: post-office) kind of makes sense: You write something, send it in the mail, and the receiver doesn't get it until LATER. eg: POST-when-you-wrote-or-sent-it. But then email came along, which turned things digital - and now it occurs to me - why not call it e-post? I actually like the term better than e-mail. But is it less accurate - IF: Post (after) and Post (mail) come from the same root, than email is less delayed, and therefore less 'post' as it's almost instantaneous. But now, full circle, we come to blog posting. The term is not so bad in itself, because I have to write then publish an entry before it can be read - but what about LIVE-posting, as in when someone posts in a stream live from an event? An oxymoron?

No comments:

Post a Comment