Thursday, April 14, 2011

Cold Feet.

This post isn't about being nervous. It's literally about cold feet.

Now, I have an awesome bed. Despite the 1"-thick memory foam topper I added to it in Sepember, and the annoying wrinkles the topper develops under my back after a few nights of sleep, my bed, complete with soft cotton sheets, is very, very comfortable. But my feet, and to a lesser extent the rest of my body, get surprisingly cold within a few minutes of settling in, making it frustratingly hard to fall asleep.

But I had a discovery last night.

I've always been a morning-shower type of guy. It just seems more right to spend your waking day at your cleanest, rather than waste that cleanliness on time spent being in bed. Plus, having a shower in the morning feels good.

On the other hand, I'm very much not a morning person, and I'll do just about anything for those extra 10 minutes of snoozing, on top of the usual 40 minutes of snoozing I do.

So there's a dilemma, and a few months ago a tried to switch it up (by switching to evening-showers), and it actually lasted a little while. School and late nights eventually got in the way, and I fell back into the morning-shower routine, especially as my hair got longer towards the end of the semester and I needed that shower to destroy bed-head.

Not-so-coincidentally, after I returned to my morning-shower routine, I started being cold at night again, but didn't make the connection. My realization last night: having a shower before you go to bed makes the comfort-factor of falling asleep increase about 10-fold. Having a shower before bed cleans you of sweat accumulated through the day, which I suppose is the primary culprit of being cold in bed, despite being cocooned under something like 6 blankets and a duvet. Being clean and freshly warm also makes the bed and sheets feel surprisingly softer.

Can you tell, thanks to my practicum-induced, sleep-deprived state, that I'm fantasizing about bed more than is perhaps normal, or sane?

No comments:

Post a Comment