Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Going to Bed in the PM

Last night after the game I did something I hadn't done in a long, long time. I went to bed before midnight.

It's funny when you have a long running routine like that - you know, like sleep deprivation - little things you notice different when you finally break that routine. I remember back in the day, before even my first days at University, I had gotten into the habit of sleeping in until after or near noon; I wouldn't do anything productive regardless until the PM - but I remember the first day I broke that habit, I noticed something weird on my watch. --- It was the 'AM' symbol. I had literally, not for a long time at least, not seen that icon, because I hadn't put or relied on my watch before noon for so long.

Something happened to me last night - as I laid down to bed - I went to set my big, annoyingly-bright alarm to get up early the next morning. The little bell-shaped icon indicating that 'Alarm 1' was set had a new neighbour: the PM symbol, instead of the AM symbol, which is what I'd normally see when setting it before bed.

I did something risky today as well: The game last night, though I didn't play in it, was exhausting. After kicking friends out of the house to get lesson planning for the next day started and completed, I was zonked, and decided it would be better to get up early and be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed while writing my lesson and exercise.

It was pretty risky and stupid - I not only had to figure out what I was going to teach that day, but it was also going to be for one of the 5 classes I was going to be supervised on. Oh, and I also had to create a 40-minute exercise for students to complete after my direct instruction. I gave myself about 2 hours to do all that - and it took me 2 hours and 15 minutes.

In the end it all went well - the supervisor liked my lesson, my presentation of it, and the exercise I designed. I also felt great - giving myself an extra 2 hours of consciousness in the morning helped my state for the rest of the day. Not so draggy.

No comments:

Post a Comment