Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Phone.

I had always thought that I was fairly independent from my phone. Even though it always comes with me, I'm not attached to it. It's not a 'smart-phone' (rather, a 'dumb-phone'), so I don't do much with it other than talk and text, but the other day, when I was without it for a little over 12 hours, I was at a loss.

It's funny how attached one becomes to having a cell phone after it becomes an integrated part of one's normal and routine way of communicating. I got my first phone for a birthday - my 22nd - back in the summer of 2005. (My God, have I really had a phone for 5.5 years?!).. Since, I've gone through 2 phones (on my third now), I eventually learned to text (learning how to 'T9' only in 2008), and as of just a month ago I switched to a post-paid plan for the first time.

But what really marks my dependence on the little gadget is how now, most of my communication runs through it, and depends on it. Who remembers phone numbers anymore? Both my personal and work lives run through it - and, even though I live at my parents', who have a land-line, I now and for the past couple of years, refer all people and businesses to my cell. Should I ever lose my phone, I'd be at a loss, and would have to resort to pleas on Facebook to get peoples' numbers back. Heaven forbid.

No comments:

Post a Comment