Thursday, February 17, 2011

9 and Younger

funny how you can find little tidbits of knowledge that's actually useful in school.

The latest: from my adolescence psychology class. Kids age 9 and younger need discipline. They're at a stage of moral development when they need to see consequences of their actions - via direct consequences of their own actions, or consequences of their peers' actions, in order to behave well in the classroom.

In the past few weeks I've struggled with the balance of trying to create a 'fun' after school camp, vs maintaining the discipline and orderliness of the students' normal classroom. It's tough.

The conclusion I've come to, with the help of my class, is that I do in fact need to exert some formal social discipline early - nip it in the butt - before my classes get out of hand. keeping control and interest in a small class of 12 or 16 is easy, but once the class size gets up to 20+, my current highest is 25, things can get out of control easily if there's no perceivable discipline by the under-10-yr-olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment