Saturday, May 21, 2011

Big City Food Poisoning

Woke up at 4:30am, and again at about 6:30am, with food poisoning symptoms. No fun.

The summer is ever-encroaching, and despite the weather turning cool and grey again today after several days in a row of blue sky and sun, it's coming time for me to find a place in the big city, where I'll be living for the entirety of July and August, plus the last week or so of June.

I've never lived in the big city, any big city, and I'm trepidatious - both excited and nervous - about it. I've never liked the look and feel of larger cities. They're too sprawling, and not as nice as my home town (in all the little ways details matter), and they have a lesser sense of community. I went to University in an even smaller city, and enjoyed that quite a bit, but the big city is also exciting: it seems like a place of infinite possibilities - so much to do and explore, plus I know a few people there already.

Why is it that, leading up to vacation, one can only find themselves desperately longing for it and imagining how wonderful it will be to be free of the agonizing, constant though-stream that causes so much stress in normal life, but when they finally are on vacation, they find themselves constantly looking past it.

Still working on being present.

No comments:

Post a Comment