Monday, May 2, 2011

Election Day.

I voted, and as I walked to my polling location, I felt an odd sensation of patriotism and civic-duty wash over me. Surprising, since I barely pay attention to, and mostly despise, politics as a rule.

Voting is one of those things that brings community together. The more things people in a community have in common and do together, the more sense of community there is. Walking to my polling station (which is only 3 blocks from my house), lots of other people were walking to/from the same place with the same intentions - many with their voter cards visibly in-hand like me - it made me feel closer to them, and my neighbours (only a select few I even know the names of) in general.

As for who I voted for: I actually voted for the candidate who eventually won in my riding. Success! I've voted at least twice before, and neither time did the person I vote for become elected to office. I can't help but feel, in cases like that, that me voting was a complete waste of time. Then again, supposedly the candidate who I did vote for and won this time won by over a thousand votes - it wouldn't have mattered if I had voted or not anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment