Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Test, Unit, Lesson x2.

Monday I gave my 9/10 students their final test in the unit I taught them almost in its entirety from the beginning of my practicum. Today was the start of a new unit, and I'm lucky - it's a subject I know like the back of my hand. Not only because I already knew the material coming into my practicum, but I also taught it to my grade 11s in more detail a few weeks prior. For me, this means less time learning and lesson planning. Score.

Yesterday I also took the opportunity to teach the same lesson twice. Being the start of a brand new unit with both my group of 9/10s and my mentor teacher's group of 9/10s in another block, I volunteered to teacher her block before mine to gain the experience of teaching the exact same material twice in a row - for benefit of my own experience and reflection. How would I grow from one lesson to the next? Would I be more fluid in my second 'run' at the lesson? .. turns out, that's 50/50. t the start of my practicum weeks ago I taught the same class twice in a row - and the second class went all the better - I was more fluid, I explained things better, and got the class through the material faster. This time around: not so. I was less smooth the second time around, and found myself stumbling over my own words more. I was still faster, though. Interesting. I thought the twice-consecutive-lessons would be to my benefit not only for my own education, but also for my observation - I was being evaluated by my university observer for the second lesson. It didn't go as well as the first less, but I still got positive feedback. all is good =).

No comments:

Post a Comment